Myths About Science Fair Experiments For Middle School
But you can get the wrong idea about what that means.
Before you start searching for science fair experiments for middle school kids to do check out these Myths.
Myth #1: The experiments have to be longer and drawn out.
- The length of an experiment depends on the topic, not your age.
- Some complicated chemistry ideas can be shown in an experiment that lasts just a few hours.
- Anything to do with plants will take days or even weeks to track
- Middle school children will be able to sustain the attention for a longer and drawn out experiment
- This would be the reason you see more of them, not the difficulty of the scientific principle
Myth #2 : Science fair is the only time you do science experiments
- In class demonstrations become more common type of science experiments for middle school and they usually are not part of a science fair.
- Many schools do not even have a science fair
- Quick and easy science fair projects are assigned year round to teach a point.
Myth #3: They must be original science fair projects, never been done before
- Science concepts and how they work do not change over time, so why would the experiments to help teach them have to be new.
- Variables in a project is what you do NOT want.
- Education means the best way to learn something, not new and different.
- Most experiments give lee way for originality simply by which materials you choose to use.
- At the same time, you do not want a science fair with identical experiments either.
- There are a lot of different ways to explore a topic and there are a lot of variations of a themes to explore.
HERE ARE FACTS … NOT MYTHS
What you want is high quality projects that:
- Follow the scientific method
- Can be done independently
- Have spreadsheets to make effective charts and graphs
- Have research materials easily found to use in the report.
- Clearly teach you something.
Go directly to this Link: Middle School Science Projects …
...for some of the best, most organized, kid tested and teacher approved experiments there are.
The Legal Stuff: I am a teacher, and like all teachers, I am always on the lookout for materials to help other parents and teachers make their jobs easier. When I find an online product, that means I am working as a partner with the owner and will receive a commission from any sales that result from clicks on the links of this page.